Mission San Francisco de la Espada (also Mission Espada) is a Roman Rite Catholic mission established in 1690 by Spain in present-day San Antonio, Texas, in what was then known as northern New Spain. The mission was built in order to convert local Native Americans to Christianity and solidify Spanish territorial claims in the New World against encroachment from France. Today, the structure is one of four missions that comprise San Antonio Missions National Historical Park.
The mission relocated to its current location in the San Antonio River area in March, 1731 and was renamed San Francisco de la Espada. A friary was built in 1745, and the church was completed in 1756.
Several modern churches have been architecturally based on the design of this mission including St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church in Wimberley, Texas, north of San Antonio.
Tagged:Some local news is curated - Original might have been posted at a different date/ time! Click the source link for details.