Image from page 152 of “The earth and its inhabitants ..” (1894) – San Antonio Picture

Identifier: earthitsinhabita941recl
Title: The earth and its inhabitants ..
Year: 1894 (1890s)
Authors: Reclus, Elisée, 1830-1905 Ravenstein, Ernest George, 1834-1913 Keane, A. H. (Augustus Henry), 1833-1912
Subjects: Geography
Publisher: New York, D. Appleton and company
Contributing Library: MBLWHOI Library
Digitizing Sponsor: Boston Library Consortium Member Libraries

View Book Page: Book Viewer
About This Book: Catalog Entry
View All Images: All Images From Book

Click here to view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book.

Text Appearing Before Image:
and plateauxencircling them. Towns, such as Rubio, have sprung up quite recently in thevery wilderness, while others, such as San Antonio de Tachira, have recoveredfrom the disastrous earthquake of 1875. Varinas {Barinas), formerly a provincial capital, biit now decayed, gives itsname to a tobacco of excellent quality, very little of which, however, is grown inthis part of the llanos. Guanare, the present state capital, stands on the highbanks of the Hio Guanare, an affluent of the Portuguesa. In the same basinare the prosperous little towns of Bijuma, Miranda, Nirjua (one of the firstSpanish settlements), San Carlos (a former Indian mission), Cojedes, Acariyua,and Pao. Farther east Calabozo, founded in the last century by the Guipuzcoa (Basque)Company, crowns a hill 500 feet high, encircled by a bend of the Rio Guarico.Thanks to this relatively elevated position, and to the absence of marshy tracts,Calabozo has always been the most healthy place in the llanos. Before 1868 it 1…^,.

Text Appearing After Image:
SAN FEENANDO DE ATABAPO. 121 was one of the most flourisliing places in the republic ; but it lost half its wealthand population in the civil war, which long ravaged this region. The seat ofe-overnment for the state of Guarico was also removed from Calabozo to the farinferior town of Ortiz, which, with the neighbouring Parapam, commands thenorthern approach to the llanos at the foot of Mount Galera. San Fernando occupies a position of vital importance on the right bank of theApure, opposite the mouth of the Rio Portuguesa. Here it commands the con-verging point of four navigable streams, on which steamers ply in one directionto the port of Nutrias, beyond Ciudad Bolivar, in another up the Portuguesa toEl Baul. But the whole region is so sparsely peopled that the trade of SanFernando still remains undeveloped, although it has taken the place of Acharjuas Fig. 42.—Ramifications of the Atabapo.Scale 1 : 1,400,000.

Note About Images
Please note that these images are extracted from scanned page images that may have been digitally enhanced for readability – coloration and appearance of these illustrations may not perfectly resemble the original work.

Image published by Internet Archive Book Images on 2014-07-28 11:20:13 and used under Creative Commons license.

Tagged: , bookid:earthitsinhabita941recl , bookyear:1894 , bookdecade:1890 , bookcentury:1800 , bookauthor:Reclus__Elis__e__1830_1905 , bookauthor:Ravenstein__Ernest_George__1834_1913 , bookauthor:Keane__A__H___Augustus_Henry___1833_1912 , booksubject:Geography , bookpublisher:New_York__D__Appleton_and_company , bookcontributor:MBLWHOI_Library , booksponsor:Boston_Library_Consortium_Member_Libraries , bookleafnumber:152 , bookcollection:biodiversity , bookcollection:MBLWHOI , bookcollection:blc , bookcollection:americana , BHL Collection , BHL Consortium

Some local news is curated - Original might have been posted at a different date/ time! Click the source link for details.

Leave a Reply

Let others know about this!

Thank you for sharing :)

Send this to a friend